Do you think that having a good voice and music talent is enough to become a rock star?
Having a beautiful voice is more than sufficient for someone to sing on the family gathering, but there are more ingredients required for him/her to become a rock star: a unique look, stage skills, camera confidence, social media presence, ability to write songs, performance stamina, connections in the music business, ability to work in team with agents, managers, producers, concert promoters etc.
It is the same with any other profession. Just think about what makes you exceptionally good at what you are doing. For sure, it is not one skill or talent, it is a whole set of qualities. Some of which, you were born with and others – you have learned.
If you find yourself struggle with achieving success in the area you want, maybe you don’t have all required skills for this yet.
So, what do you need to do? Here is my 5-step plan for you.
- Make a list with all the skills, abilities, and qualities you need to possess to be successful at something particular. Write down everything which comes to your mind. Then ask your friends what they think is needed. Then google it to get even more complete picture of all important ingredients. Don’t rush. Spend few days on it and compile a list with 10-15 different skills.
- Rate your current knowledge, experience, mastery on each of them with a number from 1 to 10. Be honest but kind to yourself. You want to know where you are starting from. Just like with a navigation system, you need to know your current location, so that when you set a destination, you get a map with the possible routes.
- Set up a plan which skills you need to develop (further) and how you are going to do it. Use your creativity and imagination. Maybe you have friends who are into social media and can help you get started. Maybe you buy a marketing course or join a workshop. Maybe you reach out to a coach to work on your limiting believes….
- Get going on the plan. Work on max 1-2 skills at a time. Get better at them, start practicing and applying what you have been learning and move to improve another skill from the list. This doesn’t have an end. Everything you are good at, you can get even better at and if these are the right skills, they will bring you more and faster results.
- Few months later self-evaluate again and repeat steps 3, 4 and 5.
You don’t need 10 out of 10 for each skill but aim at having skills rated no lower than 6. While working on these skills you will notice how you are growing as a person, as a professional and how every time you develop (further) a skill, your success gets more tangible, and it feels closer. It also boosts your self-esteem, because you are getting good at new things and trust me, more your train this muscle, easier it is with every new skill (at least, from openness, mindset and discipline point of view).
So, be strategic and focus your efforts on developing the right skills.
The skills + the trust in yourself + the alignment with your heart + your perseverance will bring you the results you are aiming at.
You’ve got this! I believe in you! No dream is too far away!